By the Grace of God we have been given the opportunity to employ
Pastor Joseph Castañeda-Carrera.
Pastor Joseph is a T.E.E.M. who has started a new ministry catering
to the Latino LGBTQ community.
Pastor Joseph hails from Oxnard California. He attended UCLA where
he received his Bachelors Degree. He continued his education at
Cal State Northridge and received a Masters Degree. He is currently
enrolled at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary where he will be
working toward his ordination while serving Hollywood Lutheran
Bishop Guy Erwin has authorized Pastor Joseph to preside at
holy communion and other holly sacraments while he finishes his
Pastor Joseph currently resides in North Hollywood, CA with his
Hollywood Lutheran Church was founded May 29, 1921, when a group of 24
people, who had been meeting for worship and prayer in a private home in Los Feliz, who on May 29, 1921 opened a "Charter" of those wishing to start a new Lutheran congregation in the area. Quickly outgrowing a house living room, they began holding services in the Iris Theater in Hollywood, and found their first
pastor, Rev. Milton H. Stine.
In less than a year, the new congregation had purchased a lot on Sunset Blvd.
near Van Ness, apparently unaware at the time that it was surrounded by
properties being acquired by Warner Bros. Pictures, which had been established in 1918.
As Warner Bros. began to expand its Hollywood presence, a deal was made.
Hollywood Lutheran Church sold its lot to Warner Bros., and purchased a
permanent site in Los Feliz. In return, Warner Bros. made a generous donation to help with the cost of construction and furnishings.
In 1924 the congregation built its present home, at a cost of $70,000! The Sanctuary was dedicated November 9 that year and, although it has seen numerous redecorating and remodeling changes, has been in continuous use ever since.
A Sunday School rear building was completed in 1937, and enlarged in the 1940s. A two-story educational and office wing was added in 1968, replacing part of the rear building. At some time after that, but by 1976, the front steps were removed and the retaining wall and front terrace were created.